Follower's of Rhonda's blog

Saturday, May 28, 2011

Today I rode through Reno

I thought that the above headline would get your attention.  I did ride through Reno..... Reno, Iowa.  Who would have thought.... We began our day leaving La Crosse WI, right away crossing over back into Minnesota and then within 20 miles or so, we were in Iowa.  Three states in one day.  We traveled south down the west bank of the Mississippi River.  It was beautiful and I heard so many bird sounds, it was amazing.  At one point I was listening and I asked "what type of birds are we hearing now?"  I was told that it was frogs.  I've never heard so many frogs in unison.

Today we rode 69 miles.  We had three long uphills today, each lasting for over one mile each.  I was thinking of my bike buddy Lisa who lives up Blue Mountain Road in Port Angeles.  She would have been proud of me as I plugged away and made the hills.
We stayed in LaCrosse Wisconsin and quickly this morning we were back in Minnesota and then onto Iowa.

Who would have known that there is a Reno in Iowa..... No slot machines were found...


The beautiful Mississippi River


Lynn and her son and her grand daughter Sequoia.  They live in the area and met us at mile 15 for a quick hug and visit.  Sequoia showed us her precious rock.

L to R, Lynn, Jan, Carol (our support person today) and me.  We were at our first support stop.  The support (SAG) person meets us every 15 or 20 miles for food and water refreshment.

The great Mississippi River

Farmer Bob Stroud's farm.  We stopped because it was so beautiful.  He invited us onto his farm to visit....  A beautiful 520 acre farm.

He showed us his restored International tractor.

Farmer Bob Stroud and me in front of his restored tractor.

At the end of the 2nd mile long hill, Jan & I wanted to go to "Ed's Party", but instead we went on .... to hill number 3....


Beautiful church on the way to Prairie Du Chein.

The tractor's on display at the top of hill #3.  I was wooped but Jan told me to take a photo for my dad!!

Iowa farm land.  Truly beautiful.

The Effigy Mounds National Monument was closed when we passed by.  I think I definately want to go back when I have more time.

Tomorrow we ride into Dyarsville Iowa which is only 48 miles.  We are heading up Pikes Peak in the morning which will be a climb.  We are told that the main reason for the short mileage is actually just a lodging situation.  So, we are sleeping in tomorrow morning.  Breakfast at 8am and off and going by 8:30am.

Most days it's up at 6am, biking by 7:30am, done biking by 5:00, dinner at 6:30pm and slowing down by 8:00pm and then repeat.

I'm sleeping better every night.  It's amazing how I've started sleeping soundly....

Keep the texts and emails coming.  I am doing alot of thinking and pondering and I sure appreciate and love all of my friends and family who have given me their love and support!!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Rhonda,
    I have just started my vacation for the next week, so I had time today to catch up with your blog. I read all your posts and looked at all your pictures and I love this adventure for you! I wish I had the cajones to take up such a challenge! You are an inspiration to us all, and the idea of living life large is so compelling. Many warm thoughts and well wishes. I'll be keeping up with your trip now that I've caught up :D Love, Lee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello dear Rhonda!
    Like Lee I finally had the opportunity to catch up with your entire blog. I was so moved and so proud of you! I stopped reading it several times because of being blinded by tears.
    Thank you so much for sharing your adventure with us! What a journey! I look forward to next entry! You're such a champ!
    All the best "mon amie", Happy Memorial week-end...and give yourself a large pat on the back!
    En pensees avec toi, amicalement,
    Christine from Port Angeles

    ReplyDelete