Follower's of Rhonda's blog

Monday, June 13, 2011

Trip to the ER in Ashtabula PA - What a day!

What a lovely day it started out to be.  We were going to have an easy 48 mile ride into Erie, PA with blue skys and warm temperatures.  A group of us took off together.  We had wonderfully smooth asphalt roads with practically no traffic.  There must have been 15 of us riders as we approached the Western Reserve Greenway bike trail.  4.5 miles of no traffic and smooth surfaces.  We were all just sailing along, loving the quiet, smooth surfaces and comaraderie.

I admit I had my defenses down and was just enjoying the moment.  When all of a sudden, a bike rider was coming towards us.  This poor man must have felt like he was being attacked by a gang of women.  Everyone was getting over to the right trying to make room for this rider coming towards us.  I tried to move over behind Cathy.  I clipped her back tire and I went flying down hard on my right side. 

It's a blessing that I didn't take Cathy down or the two riders behind me.  I hit hard though and my helmet has been retired.  It did it's job.  I have road rash on my right knee and on my right elbow.  My right thigh is bruising, but I am extremely lucky.

Everyone took good care of me and Patti, our guide took me to the Emergency room so they could clean my wounds and make sure there was not anything more serously wrong.  Some emotions came out in the ER, which surprised me but it's good to release them and to feel them.....

I am enjoying this journey, but did not need any extra drama for the day.  Lots of lessons learned.  Isn't that how life is?

I have ridden on terrible road surfaces, potholes, no shoulders, traffic, bad weather..... but when my defenses were down, the road came up to meet me.  LESSON LEARNED!!!

I am hoping I will feel okay to ride tomorrow.

So, I don't have many pictures from today, but a few..... for the scrap book of this event....

Gaining my composure after my crash.  Cathy was calming me.  Thank goodness my elbow doesn't show here.  It's pretty ugly.  Bev P. was very calm cleaning my wounds and getting everyone to do their part.  Jeanette & Donna were putting coats on me to keep me warm.  Rita was making calls and Sara jumped on her bike and rode back for help.  What a team I had!!  (I told Rita she could take this picture as long as she took it with my smiling!)

Rita Rowe did capture a photo of my infamous road rashed elbow. 

I did have great care.  Cathy from Australia is a trained MD.  Hmmm.... she kept that a secret... until now.  Bev P really took charge too!


The Ashtabula Hospital Emergency Room where I was treated.

Hard to make out, but a line of riders heading down the country road.... before it all happened!

I now have a brand new helmet and I'm ready to get back on the saddle again!  Tomorrow, we leave Pennsylvania and head to Hamburg New York.

Thanks for following my journey.  No more drama.....

1 comment:

  1. Oh my, Rhonda! I'm glad to see you are doing okay and it wasn't anything too major. Take it easy - good to see you are still smiling :)

    ReplyDelete